Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Cake


I baked my christmas cake yesterday and have just spent at least two hours icing and decorating it today.

I am very pleased.

Now, I am no cake decorator, would never claim to be. So my cake has a few wee splits and dents, character you could say. I don't know all the tricks of the trade, but I do know how to have fun. Icing a festive fruit cake is a bit like playing with play-dough.
That I can do!! :-)

I've been a little naughty this year (don't tell Santa). I usually make a delicious, moist gluten free Christmas cake. Yip, it actually tastes like the real thing too. We don't have Celiac disease but generally feel more well with a low gluten diet. (Maybe I should post the gluten free recipe, I'm sure there are a few people out there who would love and appreciate it).
But this year I craved to make a traditional recipe. I guess it will stop me from over indulging. Maybe one piece per day instead of the desired FIVE ;-)

So here goes. This is how our Cake was born:
The fruit which sat drinking brandy all night.

Creaming: which I now know is the most important part of most good cake recipes. I wish I had known this a few years ago and a few many cakes later!

Wooden spoons really struggle with this part. Miss 10's fingers complete the task perfectly.

Grandma Ivy's tin. The perfect size and weight. Thanks Grandma x

The wrapping of many layers. Baking paper and damp newspaper stops your cake drying out, overcooking and burning on corners and edges.

The ultimate well wrapped gift!

Two and half hours later. Beautifully cooked and cooling.

Breaking from the usual tradition of pre-made, roll your own almond icing. Looks a bit odd but I used my Nana Mckendry's recipe and made it from scratch. Use warm jam or sugar syrup brushed over the cake first, then spread over the almond paste.

A layer of white fondant and here it is! A little fun with green royal icing ( I have always wanted to make that!!!)

Our new home here in Northland is surrounded by beaches and Pohutukawa trees, our native Christmas tree. It seemed only fitting.

And of course the back-up ribbon as the flowers will only last a few hours.



I believe I may sneak the first piece for supper this evening.

Happy preparations lovely people!!
xx








7 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful. I really admire your icing skills.

    I make 6 Christmas cakes each year for presents. Since I've been living in NZ though I don't ice them because I'd have to do it nearly three months before Christmas. I like that because icing them was, for me, a nightmare.

    I do have a friend who can't eat gluten so your gluten free recipe would be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome Jaz! Love the pohutukawa flower. Enjoy, hope it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks gorgeous Jaz. And as I looked futher down I found your buttony/felt creations one of which, we are the proud recipients of. (I think that makes sense).
    Great blog. You should be a writer. Your writing is so creative and interesting.
    Looking forward to reading more about your journey.
    Olwynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit GB..........I did find the very best angle to photograph from. The corners are such an ISSUE. There must be some tricks that work, that I just don't know yet!!!!!!!
    Such good fun!

    Love to you all x

    and Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke

    awsome xmass cake sis your still out doing yourself i see with those creative juices keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that looks great!!! (even from someone who's not a fan of fruit cake!:O )

    LOVE the Pohutukawa touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing! Now I'm totally addicted to your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I love your feedback :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...